I may have (intentionally) "forgot" to mention that I found what very well could be The Dress! Although I have been much more leissez-faire about linking to dresses that I've tried on, the fact that I'm keeping this one under wraps should clue you in on how seriously I love it.
Interesting story on how I found it, which I don't mind sharing at all.
On our trip to Scotland to secure the venue I had also booked an appointment at a dress shop. I had gotten them to secure a sample of Accra for me because Craig's mum would be with me and I really wanted her opinion. I also figured while I was there I would try on their other dresses as they had a wide range of Enzoanis and it looked like they were the ones I was liking the best.
So I picked out about 7 other dresses and tried on Accra first. I still loved it. It has such a pretty sillhouette and intricate detailing!
I tried on the other dresses I picked off the racks and ranked them against Accra as I tried them on. Accra kept coming out on top.
Then I tried on the last dress.
Of course it was the last dress.
Of course it was wildly different from every other dress I'd tried on before.
Of course it was the dress I agreed to try on only to be "polite" (which is why it was last in order).
And of course I couldn't wipe the smile off my face and Craig's mum cried. (awww, I know!)
So the hunt is on! I've found various stockists for this dress in the UK and they are all offering it at the same price. What do you do in that sutation? There are several factors I want to consider:
1) Alteration/fitting packages - how much do they charge for them? Do they do it "in house" or do they use an external seamstress? Who is it?
2) General personality - Am I comfortable with them on a personal level? Do they seem like they understand what I'm going through and what my worries would be? Basically, are they nice?
3) How will they deliver the dress - Since I'm getting married in Scotland can they ship it up there for me or would I have to pick it up and drive it up myself? Either case, how will they make sure I feel good about it?
Other things to think about:
- Do I have to go to a bridal shop and would I even think about using an online retailer?
- Could I take the risk to see if it comes up in sample sales later in the year?
- Would I even consider having a professional dressmaker make something similar with my own touches?
- Would I even imagine buying a pre-worn dress assuming I was able to find it in such condition?
Thank goodness I have a few more months before it gets to crunch time for the dress! (Most people recommend finding a dress between 6-9 months before the wedding).